Tuesday 5 August 2014

Wedding Day Skin and Hair Preparation


Wedding Day Preparation.

With less than 2 months to go until I get married, I thought I should share what I’m actually doing myself in terms of hair and skin preparation. There are so many advice pages online and in wedding magazines that it can often be a little confusing!

Drinking Water: Around two-thirds of our body is made up of water and if we’re dehydrated, we start to shrivel up…and so does our skin! I’m drinking lots of water to help flush everything through and keep my skin supple.

Expensive Face Creams: Nope! Just pick your products and stick to them, chopping and changing is likely to upset your skin so if it works for you, stick with it. Simple has a great range of products that are free from fragrance and brilliant for sensitive skin and those on a budget. I have sensitive skin prone to breakouts so I’ve chosen products that are kind, calming and soothing: Elemis Gentle Rose Exfoliator, Elemis Balancing Lime Blossom Cleanser, Elemis Balancing Lavender Toner, Elemis Herbal Lavender Repair Mask. Just chose a range that works for you!

Fruit and Vegetables: Nourish yourself from the inside; simply putting expensive products on your skin isn’t going to fix the problem, only hide it. Your skin needs vitamins and minerals to help cell reproductions. Make sure your vitamin C and zinc levels are good; this will help the absorption of iron and hopefully prevent dark circles under the eyes. I’m trying my best to incorporate a green smoothie into my diet to guarantee I get at least my 5 a day. Make sure it’s vegetable based and not just packed with sugary fruit. I’m also taking omega 3 and a women’s health supplement.

Facials: Nope! I’ve had a few facials in the past as a treat but I’m thinking it’s probably not a good time to go and try something new and invasive, after all I’ve survived this long without! No one will be looking as closely at your skin as you do in the bathroom mirror…and if they are, they’re standing too close!

Spots: Don’t pick at them. It’s much easier for a makeup artist to hide a red spot than it is to try an hide a dry, sore and red picked at spot. Put some witch hazel on or a spot treatment cream and let your body deal with it. Easier said than done, I know!

Cut the out Alcohol: If you get problem skin, this is the most important! Alcohol is full of sugars, toxins and is a dehydrator. Think about how awful you feel after a big night and imagine what that’s doing to your skin. Even if this is only a few weeks before the wedding, it’s best to give it a miss.

Regular Hair Cuts: Ok, so this is where the hairdresser in me and my desperation for long hair battle it out. As a hairdresser I know that whilst having your hair trimmed regularly won’t help it grow quicker, it will keep it in tip top condition meaning that its less likely to break. However, if like me your hair seems to have a finite length and never grows, the thought of getting it cut every 6 weeks is a little terrifying! Just look after your hair in the run up to the day, a few hair masks, lay off the heat appliances and try not to over colour.

Fake Tan: No no no! I’ve seen far too many orange hands, feet and elbows and if you’re wearing a white dress, it WILL rub off! I don’t agree with the long term use of sun beds but I will be a few sessions before the wedding day just to help with the glow. Just go to a proper salon that can advise for your skin type and don’t do this long term.

No comments:

Post a Comment