Wednesday 30 October 2013

Makeup; Where to Save Your Pennies and Where to Spend




Not everyone can afford high-end makeup products and sometimes you really don’t need them! My own makeup box is incredibly small and simple so I thought I’d put together a little guide on where you can save your pennies and what you should be spending them on. I rely on my makeup lasting all day as I’m up early in the morning and don’t get a chance to reapply so I’ve tried and tested a lot!
There are so many different products out there and it’s really what works best for you. I often get asked why I don’t use a certain brand in my kit; firstly there are so many brands on the market, I can’t have them all in my kit and secondly; I may not find they work that well on clients but that doesn’t mean its bad if it works for you, that’s fine!


The Important Ones

Foundation primer
If I were to forget to put my primer on, I would honestly take my makeup off and start again… In fact I’ve actually done this!
A primer smooth’s out pores and wrinkles creating a smooth base for your foundation; most importantly it forms a barrier between your foundation and skin which stops it sinking into the skin throughout the day and therefore helps it last longer.
My favorites:
For Normal Skin: MAC Prep + Prime Skin.
For Oily Skin: Lancôme La Base Pro 
For Dry or Older Skin: Bobbi Brown Vitamin Enriched Face Base

Foundation
If you get your base right, then you’re onto a winner. I really don’t recommend buying foundations off the shelf as it’s so important to get your colour matched up correctly by a professional and for them to check the foundation is right for your skin…otherwise you’re just wasting your money!
Whenever I do somebody’s foundation, I will colour match first and after application, if I’m not happy with the foundation and skin type compatibility, then I’ll remove it.
It really is so important to get the right foundation for your skin type and to try it before you buy it!
My favorites:
Normal Skin: Illamasqua Skin Base. Creates a beautiful matte coverage without being too heavy
Oily Skin: MAC Mineralize Skin Finish Powder. Can be used on it’s own but for increased coverage, press on top of foundation to help absorb oil.
Dry or Older Skin: Lancome Teint Vissonnaire. Creates a beautiful dewy finish that helps brighten skin, also comes with a concealer on the lid for areas that require more coverage.

Under-Eye Corrector
Don’t use foundation or concealer under your eyes, it’s just too heavy and can make the area look worse. It’s important to neutralize the dark areas under your eye rather than just covering them up. YSL Touche Eclat is nice yes but with it's "illuminating particles" it doesn't work in photography and also doesn't really get rid of the problem as it's not high enough coverage.
My favorites:
Illamasqua Crème Pigment in Emerge…I won’t use anything else…ever

Eye primer
If you wear eyeshadow then a primer is a must, without a nice eye primer, you won't get the most out of your eyeshadows.  A primer enhances the appearance of eyeshadow and also stops it creasing or moving.
My favourites:
MAC Paint Pot



Where to Save

Mascara
As long as it stays put, use whichever Mascara you like, after all it’s more about the brush that comes with it. If you really want to save pennies and time applying mascara, then why not get your eyelashes tinted and lifted? I do and I don’t have to wear mascara anymore!
My favorites:
Rimmel Scandaleye
Maybeline Colossal Lash

Powder
Crucial in makeup application as it sets your foundation, but it really doesn’t need to be pricey. I use MAC Mineralize Skin  Finish in my kit as it comes in a large sized compact. I love the finish but at £22, it’s quite pricey for a powder.
My favorites:
Maxfactor Facefinity Compact

Lip color, Eyeshadows and Blush
The lip colours you can buy on the high street are just as good as high end products. As long as you use a lip liner first as an all over lip base, it will last much longer.
Eyeshadows from the high street are great too, you may find the pigment isn’t quite as bold as it looks in the pot though.
As long as you’ve got your base right and used that all important primer, any blusher will sit perfectly on the skin.

Brushes
Professional brushes are built to last and to withstand daily washing and sterilizing. Nice brushes are a lovely thing to have but not a necessity, cheap brushes will get the job done for every day makeup application.
My favorites:
Topshop Brushes
Ecotools from Boots

Eyebrows
I tint, thread and wax my own eyebrows so I no longer have to do these on a daily basis, hurrah! Eyebrow shape is so important as they frame your face and can really change your appearance, Be sure to get a professional to shape them for you so you have a good start shape. However, I use eyeshadow in my kit to shape eyebrows and a clear mascara to fix them with if they’re slightly unruly. The more expensive kits you can buy for eyebrows don't make much difference to an eyeshadow, you may find that they have a slightly more waxy texture.

Vicky Brown Hair and Makeup Artist
Based in Hertfordshire
www.vicky-brown.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment